|Maine House||District 105|
|Maine Senate||District 4|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 19.4|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 19.4|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
(All photos dated 2003)
[CAME-brij] a town in Somerset County, incorporated on February 8, 1834 on land set off from the town of Ripley. The town added land from Wellington in 1885 to form the current boundaries.
Named for Cambridge, England, the town is divided from neighboring Ripley by Main Stream, a tributary of the Sebasticook River. In the photo, Cambridge is on the left; Ripley, on the right.
Settled in 1804 when it was still part of the unorganized township T5 R5 NWP, the village was severely damaged by fire in 1825. Several stores and mills followed as it recovered.
This small community is served by Maine Routes 150 and 152 and surrounds the eastern end of Cambridge Pond.
Fish, John L. Cambridge Maine History. 1927 May 21. (Cataloger Note: Newspaper article from the Lewiston Evening Journal.)
Ring, Jason H. Diary, 1873. Jan 1-Dec. 24. (Cataloger Note: Jason H. Ring was born Oct. 19, 1854 and lived in Cambridge, Maine. He taught school. A diary of a teacher in Cambridge, Maine. Included in the diary is practical advice for teachers.
Spizuoco, Frank E. Around Ripley. Charleston, SC Arcadia. c2003.