|Maine House||District 96|
|Maine Senate||District 11|
|Area sq. mi.||(total) 14.2|
|Area sq. mi.||(land) 13.6|
Total=land+water; Land=land only
[BELL-mont]formerly Green Plantation, is a town in Waldo County, incorporated on February 2, 1814. In 1855 it ceded land to form the town of Morrill.
According to Maine: A Guide Downeast, Green Plantation was
home to the “Green Indians.” These were squatters who resorted to subterfuge to avoid eviction. Alerted to the impending arrival of visitors, the squatters quickly donned feathers, paint and moccasins. When law officers arrived they found an apparently deserted settlement except for a few loitering “Indians” who greeted the baffled visitors with stolid indifference.
As is the case in many mid-coast communities, Belmont has a small but rapidly growing population, expanding by over 25% between 1990 and 2000, and again between 2000 and 2010.
Situated on Route 3, just west of Belfast, it is an easy commute to that city and coastal Route 1. For from being a suburb, the town maintains its historic rural character.
Hall, William H. Ledger, 1856-1874. (Cataloger note: “A volume used by Wiilian H. Hall to record work done for customers in Belfast and Belmont, Maine. Hall, probably a resident of Belmont, supplied various types of lumber including hemlock, spruce, pine boards, etc., as well as selling goods such as molasses, honey, salt, and flour. He also did plowing, haying, wood cutting, etc. for individuals in both towns.”) [Orono. University of Maine. Raymond H. Fogler Library. Special Collections.]
Isaacson, Dorris, ed. Maine: A Guide Downeast, p. 161.
Maresh, Isabel Morse. Belmont, Maine: the First Hundred Years. Salem, Mass. Higginson Book Co. 2003.
*Maine. Historic Preservation Commission. Augusta, Me. Text and photos from National Register of Historic Places: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/nrhp/text/xxxxxxxx.PDF and http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/nrhp/photos/xxxxxxxx.PDF
Greer’s Corner School: https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/63fdabe7-ae75-44c0-8eef-b449d80d1c8c?branding=NRHP
National Register of Historic Places – Listings
Greer’s Corner School
[southeast corner of Back Belmont and Greer’s Corner Road, Belmont Corner] The rural, sparsely settled pattern of Belmont’s historic development resulted in small school houses located at strategic areas throughout the community. In 1827 there were 8 school districts, but by mid-century the figure had grown to 13 with some 626 scholars.
In 1908 a new school was built at Greer’s Corner on the site of one of the older schools. In 1953 the Greer’s Corner School ceased to function when the town built a consolidated school across the road. From then until the early 1980s, the former school served as the town office. A historical society has taken the responsibility of restoring the school.*