Maine: An Encyclopedia
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Argyle

Location Map for Argyle

Location Map for Argyle

Year Population
1970 155
1980 225
1990 202
2000 253
2010 277
Geographic Data
N. Latitude 45:03:15
W. Latitude 68:40:22
Maine House District 13
Maine Senate District 30
Congress District 2
Area sq. mi. (total) 26.7
Area sq. mi. (land) 26.7
Population/sq.mi. (land) 10.4
County: Penobscot

Total=land+water; Land=land only
Argyle Population Chart 1830-2010

Population Trend 1830-2010

The "Argyle Road" from Route 16 in Alton to Route 116 in Argyle (2005)

The “Argyle Road” from Route 16 in Alton to Route 116 in Argyle (2005)

This unorganized township in Penobscot County was originally incorporated as a town on March 19, 1839, but was deorganized less than one hundred years later on January 1, 1938.

Hemlock Stream as it crosses Route 116 in Argyle (2005)

Hemlock Stream as it crosses Route 116 in Argyle (2005)

Located on the old stage route (now Route 116) along the Penobscot River from Old Town to Edinburg, it shares the Scottish origins of the latter, Argyle being a county in West Scotland.

One of the early settlers was John Buzzell, a grandson of John Buswell the first settler in Bangor in 1769, who arrived in 1810.

Argyle Land Use Guidance Map 2014

Argyle Land Use Guidance Map 2014

Current residents appear to value their privacy in this primarily wooded community with many mobile homes set back from the road.

The Maine Land Use Regulation Commission is, in effect, Argyle’s planning board, identifying sensitive natural areas and applying standards for appropriate development.

Additional resources

Buzzell Family. Family papers, 1856-1912. Special Collections, Fogler Library, University of Maine. Orono.

Maine. Land Use Regulation commission. “Land Use Map, Argyle Twp.” http://www.maine.gov/dacf/lupc/plans_maps_data/zoning_maps/maps/Penobscot/argyle-twp_11x17.pdf (accessed November 11, 2014)

Records of Births and Deaths in Trescott, Maine, Letter E Plantation, Maine and Argyle, Maine. 1953.

This entry was posted in Government, Townships and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *