Thorncrag Bird Sanctuary in Lewiston was founded by the Stanton Bird Club in 1921. At 310 acres it is one of New England’s largest bird sanctuaries. According to its own description,
Old foundations, stonewalls, wolf pines, and large spreading maples suggest that farming was a primary use for many years. At the turn of the [20th] century, an anti-tuberculosis sanatorium composed of cabins and a lodge was located at the top of the hill.
Dr. Alfred Anthony of Lewiston donated the first portion of the property as a model bird sanctuary. In 1994 the Michaud Farm was added to the area. Access from the Highland Springs Road, off Sabattus Street.